ABOUT THE REEL PRIDE SHORT FILMS COMPETITION
The Reel Pride Film Festival will be celebrating its 32nd year in Winnipeg, October 16th to 21th, 2017. We are excited to be hosting our 14th Annual Canadian LGBTTQ* Short Film Competition. All films will be screened by the festival’s advisory committee and through this jury process films will be qualified for our competition.
We are looking for short films (not exceeding 30 minutes in length) that have a lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, two-spirit and/or a Queer * aspect to them. This expression can come in many forms including, but not limited to, theme or content and/or the background of the filmmaker. Filmmakers who have a film selected for inclusion in the competition will receive an honorarium for the screening of their film(s) at the Reel Pride Film Festival. The number of films screened will be determined by the quality of submissions and allotted time in the festival.
THERE WILL BE TWO AWARDS GIVEN:
RBC Audience Choice Award– chosen by the audience attending the festival
Jury Choice Award– chosen by the Reel Pride Jury
We would like to thank William F White Inc for their generous donation of two $1000 gift certificates;
one to each of the Award winners.
RBC Royal Bank is generously sponsoring a cash prize for each award in the amount of $250.
Submission guidelines: please read carefully
A completed entry form must accompany each submission. Incomplete entries risk not being accepted. The submission deadline for films to be received is Friday, August 15th, 2017 – 11:59PM Central Standard Time.
- There is no application fee.
- Please note that Reel Pride will not pay any fee for delivery of films.
- All films must be Canadian (and include English subtitles if filmed in another language).
The films must have LGBTTQ* content or be created by someone of LGBTTQ* background. If the LGBTTQ* content of the film is not obvious, please provide a brief outline of your reason for believing the film qualifies. If this is not clear, the film may be excluded from consideration.
- The film should be no longer than 30 minutes.
- Short film(s) must be submitted for consideration via a link to online content, secure download, or on a DVD screening copy. The DVD will not be returned unless there is a postage-paid return envelope provided for this purpose. The DVD is not for public use.
- Selected films will be screened at the festival in Digi Beta, Beta sp or DVD format and should be 16:4.
- The screening tape must be clearly labeled with the name of film, filmmaker’s name, year of completion and running time.
- Films must have been completed after January 1, 2014.
- Filmmakers should submit a brief, 1-paragraph synopsis of the film.
- Filmmakers MUST submit a 1-sentence description of the film that can be used in the program.